Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It's Veterans Day - Have You Hugged A Soldier Today?


When I was in school I took holidays for granted. After all a day off was a day off. When I entered the workforce I still kind of had the same mindset except this time the stakes were higher. Then it was a "day off with pay" kind of thing. When I became self employed and said goodbye to paid sick leave and holidays I started paying closer attention to what was going on around me. I finally took the time to smell the roses, so to speak. So although I knew that November 11th was Veterans Day, is a federal holiday and is to honor our service personnel I didn't know how this day came about.

I did some quick research (gotta love the internet) and discovered the following:

November 11th is Veterans Day. Why that particular date? Well, during WWI on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 an armistice was declared between the Allied Nations and Germany. Originally known as Armistice Day it went on to be known as Veterans Day and became a federal holiday in 1938. The holiday is dedicated to all American war veterans and is a day to remember and honor them and all Americans in the military. This is rather overly simplified information and I urge you all to look it up and do a little reading. You won't look at this holiday the same ever again. I know I won't.

I would like to personally honor my favorite veteran, my husband, with the enclosed photo. He served in the Air Force and I had to twist his arm for his permission to use this photo in my blog.

Let us not forget all those who served and never came home.

0 comments: